About This Report:
Economic Assessment (EA)
The Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 placed a duty on county councils and unitary district councils to prepare an economic assessment of the economic conditions of their area. This new duty came into force on 1st April 2010, at which point upper tier local authorities were expected to begin to prepare their assessments.
The purpose of an economic assessment is to provide a robust evidence base that will underpin strategic planning, investment decisions and delivery plans.
The Leicester and Leicestershire Leadership Board made a decision to develop a sub-regional EA in 2009, in advance of the statutory requirement. It was agreed that a single EA be developed to cover Leicester City and Leicestershire County. This Leicester and Leicestershire sub-region is considered a sensible functional economic geography for an EA. The sub-regional boundary matches real economic, labour market, travel-to-work, housing market and retail catchment areas.
District level data is presented in the more detailed themed chapters rather than in the stand-alone summary.
The Economic Assessment consists of the following:
• Summary – stand-alone document , summarising each chapter in the full EA
• 11 themed chapters – collectively these chapters make up the full EA.
The EA is a "live" document and the content will be refreshed in the September 2010 to February 2011. The document has not been professionally printed at this stage to save costs and to enable updates to be made easily.
We intend to develop an interactive tool and dashboards when we conduct the refresh of the EA in the autumn of 2010.
If you have any questions about the EA, please contact Caroline Boucher at email@example.com
- 1. Introduction (PDF, 46.7 Kb, 47 downloads)
- 2. Demography (PDF, 371.9 Kb, 297 downloads)
- 3. Business and Enterprise (PDF, 381.4 Kb, 126 downloads)
- 4. Employment and Skills (PDF, 271.5 Kb, 91 downloads)
- 5. Economic Exclusion (PDF, 779.7 Kb, 69 downloads)
- 6. Housing (PDF, 1.9 Mb, 121 downloads)
- 7. Employment Land and Workspace (PDF, 298.2 Kb, 81 downloads)
- 8. Transport (PDF, 3.4 Mb, 83 downloads)
- 9. Environment (PDF, 1.4 Mb, 90 downloads)
- 10. Summary SWOT (PDF, 22.6 Kb, 462 downloads)
- 11. Conclusion (PDF, 60.3 Kb, 60 downloads)